Questions for the Workshop
These questions are posed for all participants in the
workshop. Whenever possible the panel discussion and the individual
presentations will address these questions.
- What types of patterns emerge when separating policy from
mechanism? Can patterns of design be captured in mechanisms such that
the mechanisms are parameterized by particular policies?
- What patterns arise when defining taxonomies for synchronization
mechanisms? Can a standard library of reusable components be defined
from which a wide-class of synchronization mechanisms can be
- What types of patterns emerge in CPD systems, where efficiency
concerns are often paramount, but where abstraction and efficiency are
often in conflict?
- What types of patterns emerge to support micro-architectures for
common services and mechanisms required in distributed OO systems; for
example: name services, exceptions, and event loops.
- What types of CPD applications benefit most from design patterns?
- What types of CPD applications and domains are not covered thoroughly
by design patterns?
- Is there really a broad base of developers and researchers
interested in patterns or is this an illusion?
- What level of granularity is needed in a useful CPD design
pattern description (e.g., abstract, concrete, both)?
- How should specific patterns and systems of patterns (pattern
languages) interoperate? What is the intent/need?
Current Technologies Panel
This panel is asked to identify the strengths and weaknesses of
current and proposed technologies for capturing and articulating
design patterns effectively. Distinctions should be made between
formats that are currently in use, in development or largely
- Are the current/proposed approaches scalable?
- How does technology for capturing and articulating design patterns interact with
other aspects of software process and object-oriented methods?
- What about a standard form for describing design patterns? Is this needed? Who should
define this (standards committees? consortia? the marketplace?) ?
Back to OOPSLA '95 Workshop Home Page